Home » Useful to know

Useful to know

Paying for Care Services

The purpose of this factsheet is to give advice and information about the financial assessment process when you have accepted care services following a community care assessment.

Do I have to pay for my care?

You may be asked to make a contribution towards the cost of your care services. The amount you may be asked to pay will depend on your financial circumstances. Cheshire East Council operates a charging policy for non-residential services which meets the Care Act 2014 statutory regulations issued by the Department of Health.

If I have savings how much do I have to pay for my care services?

If you have capital above the current upper capital limit you will be expected to pay the standard charge for your care services. The current upper capital limit is £23.250.

All types of savings and any stocks or shares you hold will usually be counted as capital. The value of the property where you live will not be counted as capital if you receive services in the community, but other property that you own might be. Your property may be taken into account as a capital asset when you move to long term permanent residential care.

How much do I have to pay if I have less than the current upper capital limit in savings?

If you have less than the current upper capital limit, your finances will be assessed. A Financial Co-Ordinator will use info from the Department for Work and Pensions to complete your assessment. Sometimes it may be necessary to arrange to meet your representative to explain how your charge is calculated.

What if I have gifted or transferred capital to somebody else?

If you have disposed of or transferred a capital asset such as property, pensions, or shares in order to reduce your charge for community care services, the Council can treat you as still having the asset and charge you accordingly. The circumstances in each case are looked at individually and there is no time limit beyond which the disposal of the asset can be considered as an act of deprivation to avoid care charge.

How long will I wait for a financial assessment?

The Financial Co-ordinator will send you the outcome of your assessment as quickly as possible following the decision that you need care and support services.

What information should I have ready if the Financial Co-Ordinator needs to check my details?

You will need to provide the Financial Co-ordinator with details of your income and outgoings and provide the following.

Your National Insurance Number

Details of your income e.g. Benefits letter, Bank Statement

Details of your outgoing e.g. Council Tax Bill, rent Statement, and Utility Bills. A bank statement will be sufficient if you pay these by Direct Debit.

Expenditure which is related you your disability e.g. Piper Alarm or Private Cleaner.

Proof of savings in your name and joint names if this is applicable.

How much will I have to pay for care and support services?

You will never be charge more than you can reasonable afford to pay.

Some of your income will not be counted, for example an allowance will be made to ensure you have enough money to meet your normal household expenditure and your individual housing costs. The Financial Co-ordinator can make sure you have enough money to meet your weekly disability related expenditure where you feel you need this.

Will I get any help towards paying for my care services?

As part of the financial assessment process the Financial Co-ordinator will offer you a welfare benefits check to ensure you are claiming all the benefits you are entitled to.

How do I pay for my care services?

You will be offered a direct payment if appropriate (this is a cash payment from the Council less your assessed weekly contribution) so you can purchase the care you need, or alternatively you will receive an invoice from the Council for your contribution every 4 weeks. The invoice will show how much you have to pay. On the back of the invoice there is a list of payment options such as direct debit, cash or paying by cheque. You can pay online or by telephone.

The Financial Co-ordinator will explain this in more detail if you need help.

If you require further information you may wish to contact another organisation such as:

Information and advice Cheshire East (iACE) via advicece.org.uk or Age Concern, the Citizens Advice Bureau or your solicitor for independent advice.

How you can contact Cheshire East Council

By Post: Cheshire East Council, Social Care Business Support and Finance, Municipal Buildings, Earle Street, Crewe, CW1 2BJ

By Telephone: 0300 123 5102

On-line: www.cheshireeast.gov.uk

This information has been taken from the Cheshire East Council’s website .